Do You Know Your ABC’s?… When It Comes To Fires?



I’m referring to an ABC fire extinguisher. The ABC’s refer to different types of fires. There are four types of fires and are classified as A, B, C and D. Solid organic materials such as wood, paper and cloth create Class A fires. Class B fires have a liquid source such as petrol products, oils, cooking fats and paint. Class C fires involve anything with electricity and Class D involves flammable metals such as magnesium, aluminum and titanium.

The ABC Extinguisher

To compliment all these types of fires there are five different types of fire extinguishers available; water, foam, carbon dioxide, dry powder and wet chemical. The typical extinguisher you will have in your home is an ABC extinguisher which contains monoammonium phosphate which is a dry chemical and as in the name will put out A, B & C type fires. Monoammonium phosphate is also a chemical in fertilizer.

Home Fire

The most likely sources of fire in your home would be Class A, B or C. The most common home fire is cooking related. In 2016 there were approximately 364,000 reported residential fires of which 50 percent were started in the kitchen according to the National Fire Data Center. These numbers would be much higher without a fire extinguisher in your home because the fire extinguisher is able to handle many in-home events without the necessity of even calling the fire department. Fire extinguishers put out 80% of fires according to The Fire Extinguishing Trades Association and the Independent Fire Engineering and Distributors Association!

Code Compliance

Each structure, other than a seasonal rental unit, shall also be equipped with at least one portable fire extinguisher. It shall conform with rules and regulations promulgated by the Commissioner of Community Affairs. In pursuant to the “Administrative Procedure Act,” P.L.1968, c.410 (C.52:14B-1 et seq.) For the purposes of this section, “portable fire extinguisher” means an operable portable device, carried and operated by hand, containing an extinguishing agent that can be expelled under pressure for the purpose of suppressing or extinguishing fire, and which is: (1) rated for residential use consisting of an ABC type; (2) no larger than a 10 pound rated extinguisher; and (3) mounted within 10 feet of the kitchen area, unless otherwise permitted by the enforcing agency.


“Seasonal rental unit” means a dwelling unit rented for a term of not more than 125 consecutive days for residential purposes by a person having a permanent residence elsewhere, but shall not include use or rental of living quarters by migrant, temporary or seasonal workers in connection with any work or place where work is being performed.


If I had a seasonal rental I would put a fire extinguisher in there as well, I see no reason not to! If you are working with an architect they should be including a fire extinguisher on their plans!
So now you know you ABC’s and more!